This temple is located a mile south of Karnak Temple. Karnak and Luxor temples were once joined by an avenue lined with two rows of human-headed stone sphinxes, guardians of the temple gates and the underworld. Today, the remains of this avenue can be seen outside the entrance to Luxor Temple.
The temple stands on the site of a New Kingdom building commissioned by Amenhotep III in approximately 1380 B.C. A hundred years later, Rameses II added a great pylon gateway and an open courtyard. Unlike Karnak Temple, this temple was not enhanced by later pharaohs.
Since all the temples were built from an original design dictated by the gods, they have a similar look to them. For this reason, it is easy to confuse one temple with another.